Sunday, March 7, 2010

IR Test

Does anybody have experience with IR images? I took some shots yesterday and did some basic processing. The camera was set to automatic white balance and I was using a 720nm filter. This first image is after importing into Photoshop using the raw converter set to auto.


The second image is after swapping the red and blue channels with the channel mixer.


The final image is adding a B&W filter layer and setting it to the "Infrared" drop down.


Just some basic tests, I wasn't trying to do any real Photoshop work. I guess my questions here are how do you set the camera's white balance, what processing do you do to the image and how do you create a false color image? (That's not too much to ask for is it?)

From the above tests it looks like I will be able to produce some decent black and white images with the filter. I'm hoping the second image is so far out mainly because of the subject matter. (Not much greenery for a good Wood effect, overcast so not a great sky.) Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. I've been trying to take a decent IR picture for a while now (without much success). I think a proper custom white balance helps quite a bit - otherwise everything is just red with flat contrast. The most beautiful IR images have glowing foliage, but there isn't much foliage in southern Nevada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Custom White Balance: take a picture of a white piece of paper with the IR filter on. Go to camera menu and select custom white balance (and select the image you just took of the white piece of paper). Then set the white balance to custom, and your're good to go (that's how it works on my Canon anyways). Just remember to set it back to auto white balance when you're done, or you're normal photos will have messed up color - been there, done that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I wasn't asking how to set the white balance - but how to use it for IR images. :^)

    I agree that we don't have the best scenery for IR. Not enough foliage for good Woods effect but nice skies to compensate. It seems swapping the red and blue channels helps a lot with the contrast.

    So do you do anything different than the sequence I posted? I'm still working out the basics of IR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really, my favorite IR images came from Corn Creek. They only turned out because there is asome nice foliage there. It glows nicely in IR, even when it's dead and brown looking in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I figured the foliage was the biggest issue to producing an interesting IR image. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track until I can get to a better location. I'll have to give it another go when I'm in Guatemala. Should be plenty of greenery there. :^)

    ReplyDelete