Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Star Trails

My new camera (new to me: Nikon D60) came on Monday so I headed out for a test run with the Leonids. Even though I saw some really nice meteors the camera only caught one for the night. I'll post those pictures later.

While I was working with the D60 I was also testing out a 50mm f1.8 lens I had on my film camera back in the 80s. Today it finds itself mounted on my trusty D70. Since I wasn't used to the f1.8 lens I did a lot of test shots at various apertures and timings. This was the best shot of the night:

Nikon D70, 50mm, f4, ISO 200, 981.9 second exposure, some Photoshop work.

4 comments:

  1. Very Cool. 16 minute exposure? did you use aperture priority and let the camera decide when it was lit enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was strictly a manual shot. I opened the shutter and then went back to happily shooting with the other camera. After a while I decided it had been open long enough and that just happened to be 16 minutes.

    A faster ISO with a smaller aperture might have resulted in better star trails. I'm still just experimenting with such long exposures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you can have the shutter open for that long???0_0
    how many cameras do you have? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the Nikons you can set the shutter speed up to 30 seconds. For an exposure longer than that you have to use a remote release. The Nikon has a nice infrared remote that also works great for group pictures. For the long exposures you just click it once to open the shutter and then click it a second time when you want to close it.

    As for cameras, I currently have two DSLRs. I've had the D70 for about five years and just last week I purchased a reconditioned D60. Ultimately I want to have four cameras in my kit: One for long exposures, one for time lapse shots, one for normal shots and one converted to infrared.

    With the long exposures and time lapse it leaves me sitting around with nothing to do. The third camera would keep me occupied while the other two were doing their thing. The infrared is a special case and just something I want to play with as they can take some interesting pictures.

    Some day I would LOVE to get a camera like the D3X but I don't expect I'll have eight grand I'm willing spend on a camera for a very long time. :^)

    ReplyDelete