Thursday, October 1, 2009

Barite

This represents two technological advances. First, I used a custom white balance for the exposure (I've been eyeballing the color correction in photoshop, but this is much more efficient and accurate). Second, I created a diffuser by cutting the top and bottom off of a plastic jug and placing it over the specimen. The highlights didn't blow out - the real test will be when I try to photograph something shiny and metallic again like muscovite or iron pyrite. The stacking software created a weird double image on the scale though - the small numbers are tenths of an inch. The smallest lines are hundredths. The white bladed crystals are barite, also called heavy spar. This was collected at the Yellow Pine Mine in Goodsprings, NV.

3 comments:

  1. Now that the weather is cooler I'll be out collecting again. If anyone is interested in taking part in an expedition let me know. I usually take the jeep offroad, but there are plenty of places to go without 4WD (Lake Mead, Nelson, e.g.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and I would definately be interested...now onto the photo.

    I'm a fan of the mineral shots. I think the framing in this one in particular is great. Good color and textures too. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon the misspell...typing too fast!

    ReplyDelete