Saturday, June 19, 2010

Camera Conversion

A couple of months ago I converted one of my D70s for full spectrum shooting. I replaced the hot mirror that blocks IR and UV for a clear filter that passes all frequencies.

Tonight I finally got out to take a few test shots. I haven't fiddled with the settings - including white balance - so this is straight off the camera. Here is the original image as recorded by the camera:


(d70, ISO 1600, 50mm, f1.8, 15 seconds)

The image is shifted towards red because the filter is no longer blocking the IR frequencies.

This next image is after some fiddling in Photoshop's RAW import utiltity.



For a first test I'm really happy with this pictures. I've never been able to get so much detail out of the Milky Way. Now I need to figure out how to refine the process. Some of the larger stars are blown out and I'm not getting the colors out of the Milky Way that I've seen in other pictures. Overall it is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment