Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Death Valley Wildflowers - 2010

I have finally gotten to the wildflowers! The whole point of this trip to Death Valley.

I love when there are big blooms in the valley. Areas that are normally just dirt and rock are covered in color. It is a sight to behold. I need to work on my closeup and macro photography but this tour started in Titus Canyon.


It seems I wasn't the only one looking at the wildflowers.



As I passed by Ubehebe Crater on my way to Racetrack Playa the ground was carpeted in purple. These flowers were low to the ground and very small. The flowers were about a quarter inch in diameter. That's a lot of blossoms to cover so much ground.




In the same area the cactus were also in bloom. They always put out a spectacular flower.



The area around Badwater is covered in yellow.


I will survive!

This lonely flower had laid claim to its own piece of Death Valley. Just look at the ground around the plant and you can see what most people see when the visit the park. There is nothing else growing near this survior.


I have no idea what this odd little plant is, besides being another survivor.


The predominate color in the valley was yellow. Red, orange, white and purple were a rare find and very striking when spotted.




Here is an interesting plant. The leaves felt rubbery and moist. I only saw a few of them groing along a short strech of road on the way up to Dante's Peak.






The Sun begins to dip below the mountains at the end of my adventure.


It was a wonderful two days in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment